Skip to main content

Poisons and Toxins

Should your pet get into medications or plants that he/she should not have this can be considered an emergency. You should notify your veterinarian and call the Pet Poison Hotline to ensure that your pet gets the correct treatment as soon as possible. The phone number is: 1 800-213-6680

Below is a list of the some of the more common plants/foods that can be considered dangerous for you pet.

Which FOODS are dangerous for my pet ?

  • Grapes or raisins
  • Garlic, Chinese chive or anything from the garlic (Allium) family
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Chewing gum with Xylitol
  • Onions
  • Bones of any type
  • Raw bread dough of any type
  • Raw fish, chicken or any raw meat
  • Peaches with the pit or any stone fruit
  • Chocolate
  • Avocados
  • Nuts or mouldy cheese
  • Alcohol
  • Coffee
  • Tea

Which PLANTS are toxic or dangerous for my pet ?

  • Daffodil
  • Holly
  • Iris
  • Ivy
  • Mistletoe
  • Morning glory
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettia
  • Potato
  • Rhododendron
  • Tobacco
  • Tulip
  • Lilies

Over the Counter Medications:

Such as Advil (Ibuprofen), Tylenol (Acetaminophen) (cats), Aspirin (Acetylsalicylic Acid) or cold and flu medications. There are many human products which can be harmful to your pet, SO

****Always check with your veterinarian before giving your pet any medication.

Cats can also become intoxicated by certain plants like mushrooms, marijuana and pine needles and animals such as common toads, snakes and stinging insects.